Technical Information Scientist
The Jackson Laboratory | Sacramento, CA
The Jackson Laboratory has a full time opening for a Technical Information Scientist (TIS). The successful candidate will be a highly-trained, self-motivated research scientist excited about science but looking for an alternative to a career writing grants and performing experimental bench work. The primary focus of this position is assisting investigators with their email and phone inquiries and helping them achieve their mouse-related research goals.
- Provide detailed technical information to researchers, including;
- Assistance in strain selection based on genetics and phenotype
- Solution based technical problem solving
- Education and resources supporting mouse based research
- Develop and deliver educational presentations, both off-site and via webinar
- Contribute to the development and editing of scientific literature including white papers, model overviews, fliers/handouts, web articles and literature reviews
- Serve as the principal internal scientific resource for JAX Mice and Services staff
- Support the promotion and use of mouse models and related services
- A PhD in the biological sciences is preferred, but a Master's degree with extensive research experience, including mouse genetics, will be considered
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- The ability to travel (10-25%) to deliver engaging presentations to large audiences
- Research experience in cancer, immunology, autoimmunity/inflammation, neurobiology, or metabolic disease is an asset
A cover letter outlining general interests, and career goals should be submitted with CV/Resume as one document to consider application complete.
The Jackson Laboratory, (JAX, www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 1,800 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX’s research facility in Bar Harbor, Maine is a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center and a world-renowned expert in mammalian genetics. JAX also has facilities in Sacramento, California, and The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, Connecticut. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging and heart disease.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums and galleries.
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about at opportunities at JAX at http://www.jax.org/careers