Designer, 1st Class (San Diego, CA)
General Dynamics Bath Iron Works | San Diego, CA
Permanent position located in San Diego, CA. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Primary responsibilities will be acting in a liaison capacity supporting the local PMR, SWRMC, or their Installing Agents (IA) with the installation of maintenance and/ or modernization alterations during the ships scheduled CNO availabilities.
- Perform ship checks to support design development. Packages must be developed in such a manner that they can serve as a basis for design development by other Planning Yard designer. (Ship checks require climbing and periodic trips aloft)
- Generate 2D Auto-CAD design for Ship Alterations as required.
- Investigate emergent waterfront issues and interface directly with the waterfront community and Ship's Force.
High school diploma/GED required.
Graduate Design Apprentice preferred.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools Ability to read, interpret, and follow technical procedures, standards, and work instructions.
- 1st Class Designer: Minimum of (7) years marine design/ liaison experience or Associate in a technical field, or vocational school certificate in a technical field, or (5) years marine design/liaison experience required.
- Proven proficiency in original work of a creative/ innovative nature, complex problem solving, and the review/check of another employee's work required.
- Electrical Design background with multi discipline experience required.
- Proven proficiency in developing design in Auto-CAD required.
- Knowledge of back fit design products and Planning Yard / procedures preferred.
- Knowledge of DDG Class ships and shipboard systems preferred.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in a team environment required
- Ability to read and interpret Ship Installation Drawings (SIDs)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with little oversight required.
- Ability to represent Bath Iron Works autonomously and in a professional manner in front of the Navy customer required.
- Ability to obtain a Secret clearance required.
- Self-motivated and ability to prioritize competing assignments required.
- Ship checks will require climbing